The most popular internet search engine in the world, Google celebrated its 22nd birthday in much the same way as it celebrates all other major events – by means of a fun doodle.
The doodle shows the alphabet G wearing a celebratory hat, sitting with a laptop, a cake, and a birthday gift, making a video call with his friends. On the laptop’s screen are friends of G – O, O, G, L, E – the other alphabets that make up Google. All of them, it appears, are celebrating the birthday with G.
The doodle is apt in the current scenario, where most of us have been celebrating events virtually.
The doodle page also gives the history behind the word googol from where comes ‘Google’: While walking in the woods of New Jersey, American mathematician Edward Kasner asked his young nephew Milton Sirotta to help him choose a name for a mind-boggling number: a 1 followed by 100 zeros. Milton’s reply? A googol!
On the occasion of Google’s 22nd birthday, here are some fun facts about this search engine that has made our lives so convenient.
- Google was founded in 1998 by Sergey Brin and Larry Page, who were students pursuing their Ph.D at Stanford University.
- Do you know that Google was originally named ‘Backrub’?
- The first office of Google was a garage that was rented on Santa Margarita Ave. in Menlo Park, California.
- Gmail was launched on Fool’s day – 1st April, 2004.
- Did you know that there is a rotated version of Google called Google Mirror?
- Google.com is the most visited website in the world.
- In early 2020, Google’s parent company Alphabet became worth $1 trillion!
- Apart from the search engine, Google also has a wide range of products that pertain to cloud storage (Google Drive), mapping and navigation (Google Maps), video chats (Meet, Hangout), and work and productivity (Google Docs and Google Sheets), among others.
- It has acquired over 200 companies in its lifespan, which also include organizations such as YouTube, DoubleClick, and Fitbit.
Isn’t Google now synonymous with any search on the web? We wish that this organization live long enough to make our life more easy!
Happy Birthday, Google!0