The South Korean tech giant Samsung announced a new phone called the Galaxy Fold in an event on February 20. This new 5G smartphone with a 4.6-inch display doubles up as a tablet with a 7.3-inch display upon unfolding. And it is certainly poised to become a game-changer.
Samsung becomes the first major manufacturer to offer this feature in a smartphone. In a desperate move to save its market from a nosedive, Samsung has been lately installing cutting-edge features in its smartphones. It brought forth its first flexible display prototype in 2011 before the launch of this 5G foldable smartphone. Samsung has thrown down the gauntlet at its rivals by upping its efforts to revolutionise artificial intelligence in its gadgets.
Samsung Galaxy Fold will be made available for purchase from April 26 and the starting price is held at $1,980, the company revealed. Of course, the price makes it one of the most expensive smartphones in the market by far. Samsung, the forever rival of Apple, also announced the latest version of its flagship smartphone line, The Galaxy S10, S10 plus and S10 E along with Galaxy Fold in Apple’s home turf San Francisco recently. Samsung’s SVP of Product Marketing Justin Denison said at the event, “We are giving you a device that doesn’t define a new category, it defies category.”
Take a quick look at the key features of Samsung Galaxy Fold:
- It is a powerful tablet and a revolutionary smartphone rolled into one.
- It has a 4.6-inch display when it is folded but when the screen opens up, the display expands to 7.3 inches.
- It has an infinity flex display that transforms the phone into a tablet.
- It comes incorporated with a sophisticated hinge system that doesn’t collapse even after hundreds and thousands of folds and unfolds. It is the backbone of the device that holds it strong. However, you won’t be able to see it because the multiple air locking gears are hidden. The carefully crafted hinge system gives it a seamless and sleek look.
- There are four galactic colours to choose from, Cosmos Black, Space Silver, Martian Green and Astral Blue. What’s more, you are allowed to personalise the hinge colour too!
- The two different screens serve many varied objectives. When the screen is closed, you can send a text to a friend or make a call by using just one hand. It has an elegant and sleek design that fits into your palm. The immersive visuals and AKG technology zing up your movie-viewing experience. Denison stated that it will be a truly next-gen experience of movie watching for viewers.
- This smartphone comes with a three apps multitasking feature, a first of its kind. You can watch a YouTube video, text a friend, or browse travel options simultaneously. Each screen works effortlessly while you multitask. In short, this is a singular, seamless, multi-tasking experience created by a technology called App continuity.
- The Fold has a state-of-the-art 7mm processor and 12 gigabyte RAM, which makes it one of the most powerful smartphones in the market.
- It comes installed with the Universal Flash Storage feature that makes the phone twice as responsive.
- There are as many as 6 cameras in the device. 3 on the back, 2 on the inside, and one on the front. All the cameras work impeccably in both the folded and unfolded situations.
Looks like this phone is Samsung’s answer to those who claimed that innovations were drying up in the industry! What do you say?0