More than 1,000 recipients of the New Year Honours List in the United Kingdom have been announced. While most of the recipients have done outstanding work in their communities, the list also contains cricketers, artists, and TV personalities.
These honours are typically awarded on merit, for exceptional achievement or service. The honour list consists of knights and dames, appointments to the Order of the British Empire and gallantry awards to servicemen and women, and civilians.
Generally, Britain’s Cabinet office releases a list of recipients for honours for merit, service, or bravery two times in a year: one before New Year’s and the other in June, when Queen Elizabeth II’s official birthday is observed.
Here are a few commonly awarded ranks:
- Companion of Honour – Limited to 65 people. Recipients wear the initials CH after their name
- Knight or Dame
- CBE – Commander of the Order of the British Empire
- OBE – Officer of the Order of the British Empire
- MBE – Member of the Order of the British Empire
- BEM – British Empire Medal
- A total of 1,097 recipients were announced this year, 556 of which are women.
Here are a few notable recipients of the honour this year.
- Singer and composer Elton John has been awarded the Companion of Honour for services to music and charity.
- English cricketer Ben Stokes has been awarded the OBE for services to cricket.
- England Cricket Captain Eoin Morgan has been awarded a CBE for services to cricket.
- Actress and singer Olivia Newton-John has been awarded Damehood for services to charity, cancer research and entertainment.
- Drummer in the band Queen, Roger Taylor has been awarded OBE for services to music.
- The youngest person on the list is Ibrahim Yousaf, 13, who receives a British Empire Medal (BEM) for charity fundraising in Greater Manchester.
- The oldest recipient of the 99-year-old Wilf Oldham, a veteran of the 1944 Battle of Arnhem, who has been appointed MBE for his services.
- Head of NHS, Simon Stevens has been knighted for services to healthcare.
- TV Cook Nadiya Hussain has been awarded the MBE for services to broadcasting and the culinary arts.
Many congratulations to all the recipients!0