Water is an essential life force that helps mankind sustain and thrive. Almost everything on the plant is intricately linked with water.
Despite the importance of water, the world faces a water crisis. Every 1 in 3 people in the world do not have access to safe drinking water. And, in the next few years, half the global population will live in areas with water scarcity.
Aren’t these statistics shocking? Isn’t it time we begin to solve this problem together?
On World Water Day, we help you with 20 simple yet effective ways of saving water and making the world a better place to live in.
- Try bathing with water in a bucket rather than a shower. Even if using the shower, do not use the shower for a long time. Limit your bathing time to two or three minutes.
- Run the washing machine and the dishwasher only when full.
- Don’t let the water run if you wash the dishes by hand.
- Switch off the taps when washing hands, washing dishes, brushing, and shaving.
- Fix leaking taps, faucets, and pipes.
- Do not waste food – much water is required to grow it.
- Wash vegetables and fruits in a bowl of water rather than under a running tap. The water from the bowl can then be reused.
- Water plants manually than using automatic sprinklers, which use much more water.
- Even if using a sprinkler, switch it off when it is raining.
- Water your plants at the right time, preferably early morning, to avoid its evaporation due to sunlight and heat.
- Harvest rainwater.
- Install a water-saving flush system for toilets.
- Don’t throw away old water in bottles or cups. Instead, use it for water plants.
- Don’t run the hose when washing your vehicles such as bikes or cars. Use a bucket instead.
- Use a broom to clean patios and sideways rather than a hose.
- Have your own drinking glass or bottle so that you do not use many glasses in a day, which will result in washing less dishes.
- Monitor your water bill for any unusually high water usage.
- Avoid toys and games for children that require a lot of water.
- Wash your pets in an area, such as a lawn, that needs water.
- Use electricity sparingly; it needs water to be generated.
Are there any other such tips that you use to save water? Let us know in the comments section below.0