The Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport in Atlanta, United States was the busiest passenger airport for the 21st consecutive year, according to data released by the Airports Council International’s World Traffic Report. A whopping 107 million passengers flew through the airport in 2018, a 3.3 per cent increase from the previous year.
One of the reasons for the Atlanta Airport thriving is its location – it is a major connecting hub and is only a couple of hours away from all major destinations in the United States.
In the second place was the Beijing Capital International Airport in China, which breached the 100 million passenger mark last year. It was followed by the Dubai International Airport in the UAE, which catered to close to 90 million passengers.
Three of the top ten airports are in the United States, three others in China, and three more from Europe.
According to the data, the passenger traffic across the world grew to 8.8 billion in 2018, a substantial increase of 6.4 per cent from the previous year.
Here is a list of the 20 busiest airports in the world.
1. Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport (Georgia, US) — 107.4 million passengers
2. Beijing Capital International Airport (China) — 101 million
3. Dubai International Airport (United Arab Emirates) — 89.1 million
4. Los Angeles International Airport (California, US) — 87.5 million
5. Tokyo’s Haneda Airport (Japan) — 86.9 million
6. Chicago’s O’Hare International Airport (Illinois, US) — 83.2 million
7. London’s Heathrow Airport (United Kingdom) — 80.1 million
8. Hong Kong International Airport (China) — 74.5 million
9. Shanghai Pudong International Airport (China) — 74 million
10. Paris Charles de Gaulle Airport (France) — 72.2 million
11. Amsterdam Airport Schiphol (Netherlands) — 71 million
12. New Delhi’s Indira Gandhi International Airport (India) — 69.9 million
13. Guangzhou Baiyun International Airport (China) — 69.7 million
14. Frankfurt Airport (Germany) — 69.5 million
15. Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport (Texas, US) — 69.1 million
16. Istanbul’s Atatürk International Airport (Turkey) — 68.4 million
17. Seoul’s Incheon International Airport (South Korea) — 68.4 million
18. Jakarta’s Soekarno-Hatta International Airport (Indonesia) — 65.7 million
19. Singapore Changi Airport (Singapore) — 65.6 million
20. Denver International Airport (Colorado, US) — 64.5 million
Get real time update about this post categories directly on your device, subscribe now.